History!

Today, I thought I'd share about our two history curriculums. I've been meaning to do that for a while, and the fact that it's taken me this long is absolutely no reflection on how much I like them. In fact, they are both awesome! We just finished our first quarter and we have really enjoyed them!

Brandon has been fascinated with different wars for the last year or so and when I saw that Beautiful Feet has a Modern American and World History I was really excited! First of all,  my favorite thing about Beautiful Feet is that it is a completely Charlotte Mason based curriculum. It is based on the concept of learning through literature, which I love and which is also right up Brandon's alley. He does three lessons a week and get to reads parts or all of the amazing books that come in the literature pack , he then answers a few comprehension questions or writes an essay about what he read. He has been really liking it and is learning a lot.

One thing I would like to specify here, is that the grade levels mentioned on the Beautifully Feet website for each literature pack are definitely maturity based. This is a 7-8th grade level pack, and even though Brandon is capable of reading at a much higher grade level, the content is definitely just right for his age and maturity level.



With Ben and Natalie, we are using America’s Story 1 by Master Books. I picked this curriculum because I really wanted a Charlotte Mason inspired curriculum I could do with both of them at the same time. I had also watched a very detailed YouTube review by a home school mama who knows her stuff, and it sounded just right for us!
It's American History for grades 4-6. Natalie is learning a lot of new things but I am finding that Ben already knows quite a bit of what we have learned so far, fortunately it also has been filling it some gaps that were missing. I'm hoping as we move along, it starts feeling a bit less like review for him. He is still enjoying it, as the book I read from to them is really nice! It has lots of beautiful pictures, breaks to let the kids narrate what they are gleaning, and they both fill in fun activity pages to reinforce what we just learned about. We are also filling out a timeline of history as we go along.

So as you can see, I am happy with the choices I made for history for this school year!

Comments

Popular Posts